Shout Out

You call for it - all things not handled in other parts of the forum

Moderator: cy387_lk

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Shout Out

Postby Garison » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Hey folks.
I noticed alot of people are still haunting this forum. I am rather curious as to how many and from where. So, I started this thread for that purpose. I see alot of conversations about game mechanics, and how to fix things, ect. but i don't see very much information about anybody's life outside of EFS. Considering the small size of the forum; I think it would be nice to get to know everyone a bit better. We are a strange community. So basicly this thread is just an open-ended conversation that you might have over a beer with friends.

My name is Garison, i am from Canada. I work as a department manager at the local grocery store. I am addicted to games :D

I grew up in the country. I had a single mom as a parent, and had 3 siblings. We were not rich or poor, my mom had alot of mouths to feed, but we never wanted for much. She worked as a nurse. I went to a small rural school of about 300 people (the total school 300.) I spent alot of time climbing trees and enjoying outdoors. I did well in school,but did not involve myself with anything extracaricular. I was good at math, but very bad with english. I was put in "special ed" (handicap) class for a few years because of it. At the time i had amazing math skills, but that changed when i was 12. I woke up one day and could seriously read anything i looked at. it all "clicked". however i also lost alot of my math skills. I use to write backwards, from right to left, and in mirror image. All my pre-school notebooks are in mirrior image. Now i do my math in reverse and my english normal...when i do math in my head i start at the left and work backwards. I do math normally on paper however. After a few more years i graduated high-school with slightly above average marks and made my way to university. I did exceptionally well in programming and markedly bad in most other subjects. so,i shifted gears and started working. I worked small part-time jobs for a few years,and met a girl I could handle living with (or maybe that could handle living with me who knows :D). fortified and craving adventure (a few home-cooked meals will do that for a man) I started a small business. My business did well for a few years, but eventually my partner backed out, and i networked my way into a assistant-department manager job, and now i am a department operator, which is somewhere between assistant manager, and manager. When working, Time flows quickly in memory and slowly when approached. which brings me to now. I am once again inflamed with the cravings of adventure. My objective is to accumulate 125,000-ish dollars, and retire with some nice REITs in my portfolio.

122,000 dollars to go!

Sorry for the biography folks. I am long winded. Becareful asking questions :D

tot_kto_v_bredu
Assault Legionnaire

Postby tot_kto_v_bredu » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 pm

Nice Bio :-)
How old are you now?

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:49 pm

I am 24 years old and should be aging a year in a few more months.

What about you? do you like beer or whiskey.

right at this moment i am trying to get all my assorted ideas down in a nice coherent form. it is hard. i have decided that using hex-grids with the pointy side pointing up is better for games then flat side up :)

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:01 pm

I usually don't give out much of my personal information on a forum just out of privacy's sake.

Basic info - I'm 25, majored in molecular biology but decided that's not what I enjoy and moved on to computer programming. It's definitely something I can be a lot more motivated for.

EFS - I've been playing this game since I was kid. Seeing how I registered in 2000, I came here when I was 15, and had played the game for 3 years before that. I can still remember how excited I was to first learn they patched the game up to 1.4 and fixed a lot of the game-breaking bugs, and then on top of that, there was an internet community for it. Back when I was 12-13 I'd play the game on my PC while watching the Disney channel. Why while watching TVs? Well, thanks to those older, much weaker CPUs, the AI turns could start to take a really, really long time to sit through.

It's definitely my favorite turn based strategy game of all time. So much depth and so much to do. The bugs are a shame. I hope to re-make the game eventually, but I don't want to start doing so unless I am fully confident I can do everything I want to do with it.

tot_kto_v_bredu
Assault Legionnaire

Postby tot_kto_v_bredu » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm 31, ^_^
Definitely beer. Not a big fan of strong alcohol. I also don't smoke.

Like computer games (mostly rpg and strategy), japan culture (language, anime/manga/music), history, sci-fi books/movies.
Recently starting watching a lot of TV Shows (Big Bang Theory, Spartacus, Lie to Me, Better off Ted, BS Galactica, Friends, Scrubs, Chuck, Human Target and so on).

As you probably guessed English is not my first language. It's Russian. My city (Baku) is located on the coast of Caspian Sea.

Worked as office manager, lost my job last May, searching for one since that time.

Thinking of immigrating to Canada ^_^

EFS is my favorite TBS game too. Potential is overwhelming. I pray that one day someone will buy its license and remake a game using all new engines/graphics and etc.

Never played board RPG but always wanted too. Thank to Leper I have the opportunity to try it now.

I like collectible card games too = Magic the Gathering, L5R.

Also become very interested in W40K universe since Dawn of War series.

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:10 am

I'm 25, live in the USA, and currently work for a local radio station, doing audio work mostly. I don't smoke or drink any sort of alcohol.

Been into video gaming for most of my life, primarily on the PC. Favorite genre is strategy, mainly turn-based.
Specific TBS titles I enjoy are EFS, Space Empires IV and V, Battle Isle 2200 and the Titan's Legacy add-on, Master of Orion I and II, X-COM: UFO Defense and X-COM: Apocalypse (never really got into Terror From the Deep), and Dominions 3. There's lots more, though.

RTS titles I enjoy include the Kohan series, Total Annihilation, and Dawn of War. I enjoy games from other genres as well, but strategy is by far the most entertaining for me.

I'm a fan of Warhammer 40k, though I'm more into the background lore than the tabletop gaming so far.

I also find the Fading Suns universe quite fascinating, beyond just EFS. Went so far as to buy a few of the RPG books, just for the lore!

Moving on from gaming and sci-fi (though I could ramble on about it all day!), I don't really have any specific goals or anything. My idea of a good time is going home to relax and play a game or read a good book!

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:28 pm

thats interesting, i do not smoke (tobacco) either. although i do smoke something a bit greener on a regular basis. I only drink twice a year. the green is my only vice.

I really love Space empires 3,4,5, have played all of the X-com games, Total Annihilation and its remakes are a great graphical RTS. Starcarft was just out of this world in gamepaly and story (pardon the pun). I have resently become a fan of open-source and freelance games. I find the quality is lower, but the "fun" factor is there. The designers seem to spend more on how the game played then how the game worked. Mekwar,and wesnoth stand out in my mind as great games. Wesnoth more then MekWar i guess.

I play Magic The Gathering online , and want to try Space empirs 5 online, so if anyone is interested give me a shout.

Avarita
Tank commander

Little bit of info

Postby Avarita » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Well something about me might be added as well..

I am 24 years old, playing EFS for like 5 years or maybe longer, i dont really remember i get it from HotU way back.

There really is not much interesting about myself.. Well i dont drink or smoke. I do like tea and book reading.

I do prefer strategy games over other game styles(Yet i did played CS on pro league level). My favorites are Master of Orion 2, EFS, Dune 2, Emperor Battle for Dune, Stacraft(And recently beta of SC2), Age of Empires 2, Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander...

And yes i cannot forget to add Age of Wonders series, HoMaM series...

And about myself. I have small company working in IT industry, usually programming or webmaking. I by person am usually little lazzy, until i really want to do something.

Not much about family as i live alone. So i quess thats all here.. XD

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:20 am

Looks like we're all in the same age bracket with similar interests. How could I forget Age of Wonders? I've only played Shadow Magic so far, but have 1 and 2 as well.

Indie games can be great. Wesnoth is fun, but I can't stand it when my units keep swinging at enemies and fail to hit! Those dice rolls really hate me.

tot_kto_v_bredu
Assault Legionnaire

Postby tot_kto_v_bredu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:26 am

I played AoW too, as well as AoW2. Liked it.

By the way, anyone knows where to get Warhammer 40K Rites of War full version?

Avarita
Tank commander

Postby Avarita » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 am

tot_kto_v_bredu wrote:I played AoW too, as well as AoW2. Liked it.

By the way, anyone knows where to get Warhammer 40K Rites of War full version?

Code: Select all

http://rapidshare.com/files/262003723/Smart_WR-Warhammer_40000_40K_Rites_Of_War.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/262003595/Smart_WR-Warhammer_40000_40K_Rites_Of_War.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/262003464/Smart_WR-Warhammer_40000_40K_Rites_Of_War.part3.rar

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=31E0Y4TJ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L7XG8ZNA
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KXQQUY2R

http://www.storage.to/get/jeTzfFHZ/Smart@WR-Warhammer%2040000%2040K%20Rites%20Of%20War.part1.rar
http://www.storage.to/get/p8mjVxeO/Smart@WR-Warhammer%2040000%2040K%20Rites%20Of%20War.part2.rar
http://www.storage.to/get/5DYDbNl0/Smart@WR-Warhammer%2040000%2040K%20Rites%20Of%20War.part3.rar

Password: Smart@WR

You can chose which ever one of those 3 you want... I can always upload it again if it would be down..

And you should have Bink video player instaled in PC(RADTools works fine) to see videos...

tot_kto_v_bredu
Assault Legionnaire

Postby tot_kto_v_bredu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Thank you!!!

Return to “General Stuff”