EFS 2 - Online

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

EFS 2 - Online

Postby lordmoore » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:37 pm

Has anyone considered making an online version? There are alot of free online game engines that could possibly be edited and redone to fit with some of the ideas we have here.

Just an idea! But I can see how a well done online game could increase the potential EFS players.
Enemies strengthen you.
Allies weaken.
I tell you this in the hope that it will help you understand why I act as I do in full knowledge that great forces accumulate in my Empire but with one wish--the wish to destroy me.

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Re: EFS 2 - Online

Postby lordmoore » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:47 pm

An online version would/could limit city building (I've said this once or twice before... cities shouldn't be built...stuctures should be buildable) and several others things. I'd like to see planets broken down to several area's of control (call then counties..districts...regene's...whatever). Battles should take place over this pre-existing areas. In addition, we could add non-Known World area's like the Star league, Vau (who's going to attack them), etc..etc. We could make random events...like new gates opening (some with independanta attacking...some without), rebellions, plagues, inquisition clearing a village due to symbiot infection (neg manpower...prod..or something), etc..
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

I tell you this in the hope that it will help you understand why I act as I do in full knowledge that great forces accumulate in my Empire but with one wish--the wish to destroy me.

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:17 pm

Considered, yes, seriously, no. Massively multiplayer games are very difficult to do, require vast amounts of money on maintenance alone etc. What kind of game would it be anyway?

If you mean simple browser games then maybe, but I don't think they are interesting enough from a technical standpoint (I do enough web applications for a living). Besides my clone will have unlimited multiplayer anyway :p .

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:12 pm

Hummmmm....so you are actively working on a clone?
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:55 am

Yes, I am making a game. But I'm not exactly making a clone, the goal is more along the line of "the best space strategy ever", which is why it's taking time. Some of my work you can see in these threads:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">progress</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Some new ideas</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Planet testing</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The thread Legions also contains some pointers to discussion (as you probably know). There is also some other stuff on my very outdated web pages.

Last week I spent creating the basic simulation and some debugging tools for it. You can see a dump of a short history of a game world here. Next I need to make some changes to the simulation, because instead of using constant length steps I'm now planning to use an event model.

If you have any questions, just shoot. Even though I don't participate in every thread I do read them all.

Return to “EFS Clone”