Emperor Wars ver 3.4d broken and unplayable

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Epluyt
Infantery

Emperor Wars ver 3.4d broken and unplayable

Postby Epluyt » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:59 am

Hello,
Person who made this mod have done excellent job, but there is nasty bug affecting savegames. Game runs smoothly without crashes or lockups, but when you are trying to load a save, game crashes to desktop. This bug is only affecting "older" saves, which are containing maybe 5, 10 or more turns of gameplay. Saves made right after beggining of the game and then after first, very long turn are not affected. I`m guessing some tech or hired/build unit is incorrectly stored in savegame and causes CTD. It also affects autosaves. After CTD in savegame directory besides regular saves, are (uncopressed?) temporal files with .sav replaced by .tmp and they are more or less 3 times bigger than regular saves.

I have dowloaded all game and mod files from this site:
https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwa ... ---downlao

and then
1. I'm unpacking eotfs 1,4 with reg
2. upgrading to 1,4
3. unpacking and overwriting files from efs realitymod 1,5
4. unpacking and overwriting files from emperor wars ver 3,4d

I was testing EFS 1.4 with only Reality mod - works fine, saves are ok - but its very boring...
Also tried with skipping step 2 (without upgrade to efs 1,4) - no changes. Even used efshyp.exe from Hyperion mod - no changes.

And there is also other minor bug from Reality mod - values in the "maintenance" line in unit or factory window are not refreshed or maybe not cleared correctly. When you scroll through multiple units its mess there and its very hard to tell how much unit maintenance costs or if unit actually gives you money... ("minus" sign is not cleared properly...).

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Postby Luxor » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:06 pm

I have same issue and I fixed it removing cargo capability in unit.dat file from units that in vanilla don't have it, like naval ships, cruisers, dreadnaughts etc.

I also noticed that with warehouse off, game gets stuck in church turn if you play with some Houses, just need to turn universal warehouse on.

Epluyt
Infantery

Postby Epluyt » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks for quick reply, Luxor. I will try, but just checked unit.dat and ... well, I have to ask - is there any dedicated for EFS editor I can use? Or I have to stick with notepad? :shock:

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Postby Luxor » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:06 pm

All .dat files in DAT folder are plain text. Use notepad to be sure to not mess them up.

Epluyt
Infantery

Postby Epluyt » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:58 pm

Yup, I was afraid that you would tell so... :lol:

Epluyt
Infantery

Postby Epluyt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:39 pm

So, I have first results... While original file unit.dat was clean and neat, modded unit.dat is total mess. I was trying to align columns of data by adding/deleting empty spaces and it took me 30 minutes. Afterwards when using new "aligned" unit.dat I was unable to load working saves or even start new game... CTDs. :roll: And I even did not started to remove cargo capabilities! :lol:

Luxor, can you send me corrected unit.dat? I'll give you my e-mail via priv. Thx in advance!!!

Epluyt
Infantery

Postby Epluyt » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:26 am

Ok, 2 more bugs I today discovered in Emperor Wars ver. 3.4d:

1. Game freezes during symbiot turn. EFS.exe process takes 99% of CPU usage and must be killed.

2. When I`m discovering symbiot units hidden in ruins/alien ruins they do nothing. Turn after turn they just sit there until orbital bombardment finish them off or player build strong enough army. No AI for ruins symbiot implemented?

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Postby Luxor » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:07 am

I got your PM, tomorrow I'll send you a clean, working unit.dat file.
For Symbiot AI, you should use hyperion-modified exe. In my games ruin Symbiot units are always active, they leave the ruin after they are discovered and start acting accordingly.

Epluyt
Infantery

Postby Epluyt » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks for that file. :D I'll start new game soon and I will also try hyperion exe.

Happy New Year
:D

Epluyt
Infantery

Postby Epluyt » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:26 am

So far I have played 3 games with unit.dat modified by Luxor. Each game with different house for about 10-15 turns and everything working ok.

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Postby Luxor » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Good to hear :)

malriknumenor
Infantery

Bug-free

Postby malriknumenor » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:49 am

Hello guys,

After years of Hyperion gaming I tried the "Reality" patch a few weeks ago and encountered the "corrupted save files" bug: it completely ruined my motivation (for the otherwise greatest game of all time I think).
The games loads until 74% and then crashes to desktop just like you described.

I have a question:
- can you uncorrupt a save files through DAT modification ?
- is there a way to play 100% bug free ?

It's really frustrating to invest so many hours, imagine yourself at the head of a universe, and get stuck by a bug (but you know it I suppose)

Thank a lot !

Return to “Fixing it ourself”